My Thanksgiving plates of years past were always overloaded with mashed potatoes. I’d pass the stuffing and bread basket right along, the only carb I needed was those creamy potatoes. When I “helped” set the table, I’d strategically position the mashed potatoes right in front of my plate. Less passing, less sharing…that’s the holiday spirit.
These potatoes take the goodness of sweet + savory and transform it into a Thanksgiving dish. It’s perfect if you don’t want to play favorites between these too glorious root veggies. Both spuds in one bowl also means more free space on your holiday table for other delicious vegan goodies.
There are hidden veggies in this bowl too. The sweet potato side is concealing yummy, nutrient-rich carrots in its velvety vibrancy. They make the flavor even sweeter with their own natural sugars, and add a good dose of vitamin A. Amidst the russets is an undetectable addition of cauliflower for even more nutrients and added veggie fiber. This single bowl contains sweet and savory, starches and veggies, so it’s a Thanksgiving must!
Sweet & Savory Whipped Potatoes
Serves 2-3 (feel free to double or triple)
2 medium sweet potatoes
3/4 cup chopped carrots
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 medium russet potatoes
3/4 cup chopped cauliflower florets
Salt and pepper to taste (optional, you could use herbs instead or in addition)
- Peel, roughly chop, and boil the potatoes until tender.
- Steam the carrots and cauliflower.
- Puree the cauliflower in a food processor. Repeat with the carrots.
- In one bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, carrot puree, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Beat with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- In another bowl, combine the russet potatoes, cauliflower puree, salt, and pepper (and/or herbs). Beat with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Spoon and swirl everything together in a large bowl and serve.
With this much flavor going on in one swirly combo you really don’t need gravy. Since it’s a Thanksgiving classic, here’s a vegan gravy recipe for ya’ anyway.