I must tell you a secret…I’ve never actually had eggnog.
I didn’t want my first taste of this nutmeg + vanilla + cinnamon flavor combo coming from a carton with a long list of ingredients and the ambiguous ‘natural flavors’. Homemade is more my style, but why stop at homemade eggnog when you can have homemade eggnog oatmeal?
Of course there’s no egg in this nog because that wouldn’t be very vegan of me, and there’s no sugar either. Medjool dates sweeten this warm bowl of joy. This is the most nutritious form of eggnog I’ve ever seen…and the creamiest bowl of oatmeal too.
Hello, perfect Christmas breakfast…
Maybe I can’t vouch for eggnothenticity, but I can vouch for yumminess. It’s a fabulous flavor medley, perfectly suited to oatmeal!
1 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (you could use water, but it won’t be as creamy)
6 pitted medjool dates
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder
3/4 cup rolled oats
- In a blender, combine the non-dairy milk, dates, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into a saucepan and add the oats.
- Bring it to a simmer. Stir, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cover.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally until thick.
- Serve with fresh fruit on top and a sprinkle of nutmeg.